Saturday, November 15, 2008

Basket Weaving 101

I originally wrote this in January but never posted it.

My pastor's sermon last Sunday night was from Exodus about Moses' mom putting him in a basket and sending him down the Nile. I have been thinking about all the things he said ever since. What did it take for her to put her baby son in a basket and put that basket in a river with crocodiles? Of course, my first thought was fear, that maybe she was afraid of him being killed by the Egyptians if he was discovered.

But my pastor suggested that she had great faith. Faith that God loved that little boy even more than she did. How many times do we give our children to the Lord in prayer only to take them back again days, hours or even moments later? I'm thinking she did some serious praying as she lovingly wove that basket and coated it with tar and pitch to make it waterproof. But then she actually placed her precious son inside and then placed that little vessel in the Nile. And our pastor pointed out how completely God took care of Moses. He was nursed by his own mother, raised in the Pharoah's home as a son with the best of everything including an understanding of the Egyptian culture and an education that would both prove beneficial.

Could I do that?

Can I do that?

Will I do that?

I think I need to "weave a basket", "coat it with tar & pitch" and put my sons inside and then "let go" and "let that basket go down the Nile", trusting God that He loves them even more than I do, and that He holds their lives in His hands.

No comments: